Saturday, October 3, 2009

UPDATE: Busy, busy, busy (Articles & Radio)

There haven't been updates for a while because there's been too much going on. I've spent the last two months traveling, first to Edinburgh for a study abroad trip at the Edinburgh College of Art, then to Geneva - down to Venice, Florence, and finally, Rome. Then I had some R & R in Fort Lauderdale, followed by a short time at home before going on a road trip to Nashville to go to the CD release show for The Protomen's second album. From Nashville, I flew to Chicago, drove to Detroit to see KISS, then back to Chicago to interview Moby (which didn't end up happening, but the concert was great). Needless to say, it's been crazy. I've got a lot of summertime artwork and photos to upload - I'll tackle that soon. In the meantime, here's what I've been up to:

Consequence of Sound Articles


So, the in-person Moby interview fell through, a phone-in might happen in the near future. What did work out was seeing Moby live, which was awesome and I took the pictures to prove it. After the show Moby did a DJ set at a club elsewhere in town. CoS editor in chief Mike Roffman wrote the main write-up and I covered the DJ set.


Moby dazzles Chicago, saves Wednesday night (9/30)



The CoS staff did articles for every one of the Beatles Remasters. I contributed to the oddball of the remasters - the singles compilation, Past Masters. I expected it to be an easy article, but things got really in-depth. It's quite awesome.


Review: The Beatles - Past Masters [Remastered]



"Break Yo' TV" is a recent CoS feature on weird, music related online videos. I contributed one of the inaugural articles, the topic? Why the degenerative Internet video collages , YouTube Poop, of course!


Break Yo’ TV: YouTube Poop


The last two "Watch" articles I've done were both for comedic videos. I reviewed "Weird Al"'s video for "Craigslist" from the then forthcoming, now out, online EP Internet Leaks.


Watch: “Weird Al” uses the Internet to summon the ghost of the Lizard King, readies EP


More recently, I reviewed Eric Wareheim's unconventional video for Depeche Mode's "Hole to Feed."


Watch: Depeche Mode’s “Hole to Feed”




Media Potluck/ Audio Archaeology

I updated my article on Kate Bush and Cocteau Twins' Fruitopia Ads for its C onsequence of Sound debut, and premiered the first new Media Potluck article in quite some time: "Mother Goose Rock 'n' Rhyme (1990)". The article digs deep into one of the most unusual children's films of all time. Many secrets are uncovered.


Kate Bush & Cocteau Twins' Fruitopia Ads (1994-5)

Mother Goose Rock 'n' Rhyme (1990)

And now...

After a hiatus during August, Nerdy Show is back in action. We've had a roster change, and myself, Hex, and Triforce Mike are now joined by none-other than Atomic Robo and 8bit Theater creator Brian Clevenger. We'll be streaming again soon, but for the time being we're podcasting weekly. So far we're six episodes (plus one "pilot" episode) into what we're calling "Season 2" - you can check it all out on nerdyshow.com with new episodes up every Wednesday.

- Cap

No comments: